DJ SAKIR, was born into music. Coming from a family of musicians of all disciplines on both sides of the family tree, it wasn’t far fetched to envision SAKIR carrying on the tradition. Growing up she remembers her father playing Philly classics, reggae and soul music especially on Sundays. In her youth she dabbled in chorus groups, played an instrument and even created mock radio shows.
After engaging in other art forms such as crochet and jewelry design, she made a decision to dedicate her life to music. The day she was laid off from her daily job in the spring of 2009, she picked up the phone and booked her first gig.
DJ SAKIR takes pride in her musical selections, making it a point to showcase underground artists and upcoming stars. SAKIR spins underground rap, soulful r&b, electro, soulful/tribal house, dub, dance, indie, drum & bass, dubstep, lounge and downtempo music. She has been publishing a mixtape series, “The Lotus Lab”, for the past 5 years, which features all the aforementioned genres.
Her order of business for 2014 is building OHM, a DJ lifestyle line that brings together apparel, accessories, music, cool ish and the people who love them.
- $50 per hour (5hr. max, locally,without providing equipment)
- $.30 per mile in addition to hourly rate (long distance)
- Weddings are flat rates and vary based on the specs of the event. Hourly rates are negotiable for bars and lounges.
- Equipment can be provided for an additional fee.
- Has reliable transportation and is willing to travel out of state.
- Resume and cover letter are available upon request.