This past month has been a big one for Africa having the World Cup hosted in a part of the country that abolished apartheid less than 2 decades ago. In celebration of this monumentous affair, I dedicate this podcast to all of us who are connected to Africa in one way or another. The draw of the country is undeniable, so much that recently our beloved blogger, Yacque of Cocolah.com visited the countries of Morocco and Mali. Also this past weekend in Brooklyn, Prospect Park hosted the OkayAfrica affair featuring artists such as The Roots, Talib Kweli and Blitz the Ambassador who is from Ghana.
In this mix you will find genres that are influenced by the motherland such as Afrobeat, Afro Rock, Tribal House, Afro Cuban and so forth. Hopefully you enjoy the mix so much that you make it a goal to visit the continent that has birthed so much greatness. Shouts out to the Ghana football team (soccer for you U.S. heads) for doing an excellent job making it all the way to the semifinals and Mandela (I call him Madiba) for being so amazing, even at 92 (his birthday is July 18). Happy Bornday Madiba!!!!
- Hwehwe Mu Na Yi Mo Mpena – Frimpong, K. And His Cubanos Fiestas
- African Problems – Seun Anikulapo Kuti
- It’s No Possible – Fela Kuti & The Africa 70
- Music for Gong Gon – Luisito Quintero
- Jaleo ft. Concha Buika (Senor Coconut Mix) – Truby Trio
- Koroduga (Setagaya-Segou Soul River Dr. Mix) – Lobi Traore
- Oya O ft. Wunmi (Afro Dub) – Raw Artistic Soul
- Fatien (New Sector Movement Mix) – Nahawa Doumbia
- Runnin’ ft. Wunmi – Truby Trio
- Self Reliance – African Brothers Int. Band
- Kwaku Ananse – Apagya Show Band
- Mosquito Song – Seun Anikulapo Kuti